<$BlogRSDUrl$>

like an angry old man, shaking a fist at the sky...

Thursday, May 13, 2004

an idle king

i have favorite episodes of most of my favorite tv shows. usually, they're the ones which i can apply, with some degree of relevance, to my own life.

so tonight was the series finale of 'frasier', and i must admit a much more emotional reaction to the show than i expected. i figured it would fit somewhere in between the finales of sex and the city, which i loved, and friends, which i think needed to be outright cancelled some four years ago...but that's just me.

i never really got into frasier's whole search for romance thing, mainly because he commonly screwed up good things left and right. i was more into niles and daphne, and the whole unrequited love bit. that one episode where niles took daphne to a dance, and he let how he felt slip out, only to have her (fictitiously) return them, is probably my all time fav.

anyways, in tonight's episode, frasier recited the last few lines from tennyson's poem "ulysses". it really is a great poem, and my thanks go out to andy c for opening up my pallete to the british romantics. here, let me reprint the best parts:

The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks;
The long day wanes; the slow moon climbs; the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

i'm interviewing tomorrow with the school district, and i'm scared. but i'm gonna remember me some tennyson and give it my best shot.



feeling: inspired
thinking of: when i get my own place
song of the day: oh, sister - bob dylan
time is an ocean, but it ends at the shore
Comments: Post a Comment

free hit counter

free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?