<$BlogRSDUrl$>

like an angry old man, shaking a fist at the sky...

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

superheroes

i was writing a quiz for a friend yesterday and one of the questions was "if you could be a superhero/villain, who would you be?". i had to answer this question myself later, and my answer was torn. i'd choose either spiderman or batman. i mean, being a superhero would almost be a raw deal if you didn't have the powers that made you a badass. spiderman lost his parents, his uncle got pieced because of him, and he watched his girlfriend get tossed of a bridge (gwen stacy, who died, not kirsten dunst, who lived -- fuckin movie). and batman watched his parents get gunned down in front of him. plus, he seems to go through robins with some consistency, and he has not much luck with the ladies. i mean, he falls in love with one of his enemis (catwoman).

spiderman does have the cooler powers. the ablity to walk on walls, the ceilings, spinning webs, spidey-sense, super strength and agility. that stuff IS awesome. batman has no superpowers, aside from being incredibly strong (which he has to work at to keep) and a genius and a multi gajillionaire. but....he does have the fucking batmobile, which, by itself, is a pretty strong trump card.

i suppose this desire to be one of them arises out of my desire to simply be someone else entirely. and if i'm playing the fantasy game, why NOT choose a superhero? and what i'm getting at, i think, is that i should probably just be content with being me, as it's never going to happen that a radioactive spider will bite me. and even if it did, the only superpowers i'd get would probably be the ability to shake on the floor and shit in my pants.

so, i gotta be content to be me. that's a tough sell, because i don't have a cool car...or a car at all, for that matter. i'm not a multi-gajillionaire. i can't lift ten times my own body weight, or fly through the air with the greatest of ease.

what i'm getting at though, is not some "i feel sorry for myself for being so lame" thing. i'm tired of that, tired of the whole self pity party, and while i can't promise that i'll give it up for good, or even for the rest of the day, i need to try harder to look past it. if i can, if i can see past the mountains of erroneous bullshit i've piled up inside my head, maybe i can be joshman.

and maybe i'll find myself a comic book wife.



feeling: daunted
thinking of: the beach
song of the day: beautiful world - colin hay
my my my, it's a beautiful world, i like swimming in the sea. i like to go out beyond the white breakers, where a man can still be free, or a woman if you are one. i like swimming in the sea
Comments: Post a Comment

free hit counter

free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?