<$BlogRSDUrl$>

like an angry old man, shaking a fist at the sky...

Tuesday, October 07, 2003

insert clever opening line here.

on a more or less daily basis i post my rants, raves, daily attributions, thoughts, epiphanies and general malcontent on this website, and most of the time, i try to do it in an entertaining manner. a manner befitting my personality and attempting to truly sell my style to my readers(s).

i had a website a while back. i forget what it was called, but it was very similar to this one, as i posted daily. however, i had a job that summer, so it was easy to fall by the wayside. i think i only really kept it up a few weeks, as opposed to the burgeoning third month here. let's go number three!!

there, too, i became preoccupied with originality, a certain pinache, a sensationalism, a uniqueness. and there too, i posed the question to myself. why?

granted, i know very little about my own generation (i think we're called Y, but who the fuck knows), but i know you'll forgive me, america, for making my little generalizations.

generation Y seems to be broken up into two relatively distinct groups. there is group number 1, the drinking, rufie slipping, white baseball cap wearing, abercrombie and fitch shopping group. and group number 2, the group that is obsessed with originality, with being different, and unique, so much so, that they completely ignore a real sense of their own identity to adopt one that just isn't taken.

now, that being said, i think i'd lump myself into group number 2, simply because i KNOW i don't fit into group number 1. but with being in group number 2 comes a problem with managing to stay distinct and being my own person while maintaining a distinct difference from all other people in my age bracket. that is to say, i'm going to jump off a cliff and see if i can fly.

i can't dress differently from every other person in my age bracket. there aren't enough thrift stores. i can't listen to different music than everyone, cause i ain't got the money to experiment with buying random CD's from unknowns. i can't like different movies from everyone, cause there's limited amount of film being produced as we speak. with everything there are always uncharted numbers of people who like the same thing. when i was in my early teens i began collecting PEZ dispensers, and my mom said i was a loser. my therapist said that when i got to college i'd meet a handful of people at least who collected PEZ dispensers. sure enough, i even dated one of them. so, try as we might, there is someone out there that likes the same things you do....at least in one category.

i knew this group in high school that struggled and fought as hard as they could to be out of the mainstream and unique, but they ended up conforming to the rules of their esoteric little clique. so, yeah, there's a danger there of trying so hard to be different that you end up conforming, or losing an idea of who you really are, and yada yada yada....i'm rambling.


my point, circuitous as the route i took to get there is, is that we should just be ourselves!! not a very original sentiment, is it?



feeling: free to be you and me
thinking of: lunch with riqui a week from today
song of the day: doing the unstuck - the cure

Comments: Post a Comment

free hit counter

free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?