<$BlogRSDUrl$>

like an angry old man, shaking a fist at the sky...

Thursday, October 30, 2003

i like compliments

in january i was pretty well hobbled with what the french call "the blues". for a couple of days i made like i was going to classes, or at least, i was telling my friends that that was the case. really, i was hiding out in my apartment watching the sopranos all day from the living room floor. it was pretty goddamn awful.

anyways, i got some help. it took time, but in a matter of a couple of weeks, i got myself back on my feet and registered for some classes. one of them was my senior seminar, with a gentleman named dr. renwick. the rog, i called him, as his proper christian name was roger. anyways, when i tried to add his class (it was basically the only one i actually "needed" as i needed a senior seminar to graduate. if i didn't have that - well, i'd still be in school.

the rog didn't want to let me in his class. it had already been like, two weeks, and he was very reluctant. but he admittedly felt sorry for me, and let me in.

some six or so weeks later, he asked to speak with me after class - i was scared as shit, cause i'd been kinda being a joker w/ him, poking some fun at the subject matter we studied, just trying to be myself, really.

he said, you know when i let you into this class, i did it because i felt sorry for you...blah blah blah, my heart was racing. i thought he was going to tell me to straighten up and fly right, and just keep my smart mouth shut. i'd been told that before, anyways. but then he said. it was the best decision i ever made, my boy. and when i'm wrong, i'll admit it.

this was, of course, a great relief for me. and the point i'm trying to make is this - unprovoked compliments -- comments that come from a person with absolutely nothing to gain by paying them are the best ones. when someone you barely know tells you something good, it's the most amazing feelings.

today, i went to dinner with my mom. while we were eating, i thought i saw a girl look over at me, then whisper a little somethin' somethin' to her friend at the table. then her friend cast a quick-ass glance over my way. i was like...ok, calm yourself josh.

i ate my meal, and we paid the check, then vamoosed. while we passed the front window, the first girl again quickly whispered to the other girl as if to say "ok, here he comes again" the other girl, again turned to look at me. now, of course i realize they could have been saying, look at that poor bastard, but i don't think they were. they looked. i walked.

and then i smiled....nice and big.




feeling: tired....so tired
thinking of: creating a super-hero alterego
song of the day: where is my mind? - the pixies
quote of the day: dale gribble: when it comes to muffins, i can't help myself! i'm a muffaholic!
Comments: Post a Comment

free hit counter

free hit counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?